Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Boatright Out Due to Eligibility Issue

UConn freshman Ryan Boatright will be held out of intercollegiate competition while the school works cooperatively with the NCAA in a review of his eligibility, a review that is not related to academics.

Boatright will continue to practice with the team and may sit on the bench during games, but will not dress or see action while the joint review takes place.

Boatright, an electrifying guard out of Aurora, Ill., is expected to back up Shabazz Napier at point guard this season. Last week, the Huskies welcomed a new walk-on, Brendan Allen of Windsor, on the team, and Allen has been seeing a lot of practice time at the point. Jim Calhoun said he expected to see Allen garner some minutes in the exhibition opener against AIC.

Boatright committed to UConn in October, 2010, after having given West Virginia's Bob Huggins a verbal commitment a couple of weeks earlier. The reason: Jabarie Hinds, another point guard (and UConn target) committed to WVU a couple of days after Boatright had, creating a logjam at the position in Morgantown.

And that wasn't the first time that Boatright seemed poised to attend a school but wound up not doing so. Remember when then-USC coach Tim Floyd created a stir when he recruited a 13-year-old kid out of Aurora, Ill.? That kid was Boatright.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave what are you hearing, as to what the problem with boatright is?

November 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home