My preseason AP Top 25 and All-Americans
So, here's the preseason poll I've sent in, along with the five-man All-America team they also request:
1. Duke: This seems too easy, but it's hard to deny Grayson Allen and one of Coach K's best recruiting classes. Almost had them No. 2 because of Harry Giles' health concerns, but it appears he'll be back soon.
2. Kansas: Gee, ya think they'll win the Big 12 again?
3. Oregon: UConn could meet Ducks in Maui next month.
4. Kentucky: You know the deal - great recruiting class, etc., etc.
5. Virginia: I liked Austin Nichols a lot at Memphis, and I love him with the Cavs. He and London Perrantes make a heck of a tandem.
7. Xavier: Until Billy Preston commits next year, Myles Davis will be the butt of most of my music-related college hoops jokes. Sorry in advance
8. North Carolina: UConn could meet Tar Heels in second game in Maui. Would be fun.
10. Indiana: Are we sure Yogi Ferrell has graduated?
11. UCLA: Daniel Hamilton may have gone pro, but his brother Isaac could be poised for stardom.
13. Saint Mary's: Not a misprint. I liked the Gaels last year, and I love veteran teams that bring back their entire starting five.
14. Michigan State: Gavin Schilling's knee surgery a huge concern for Spartans.
16. Cincinnati: With Troy Caupain, Gary Clark, Jacob Evans and NC State big man transfer Kyle Washington in tow, I think Bearcats deserve to be favorites in the American. Watch out for Washington. He put up big numbers against UNC and Syracuse a couple of years ago.
18. URI: It gives me no extra pleasure voting in my alma mater. (OK, maybe a little). But seriously, a healthy E.C. Matthews and Hassan Martin makes Dan Hurley's Rams legit.
19. Louisville: How many games for Rick Pitino? Gotta be at least nine, right?
21. West Virginia
22. Iowa State
25. Florida State: New Haven native Tharon Mayes' stepson, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, is a star.
(FYI, I don't put freshmen on my preseason All-American team)
Grayson Allen, Duke