Thursday, February 20, 2014

Shabazz Napier: 'It Was the Worst Decision I've Ever Made'

Shabazz Napier made a lot of good decisions in Thursday night's 68-55 win over Temple, doling out seven assists (five in the first half, on a host of beautiful no-looks and alley-oops). He also hauled in 12 rebounds, hit all 11 free throws and finished with 17 points for his fifth double-double of the season and seventh of his career.

But Napier made one very bad decision before the game.

“ I did something so stupid – I bought chicken wings from 7-11 and I ate it," he reported. "I just threw up after the game. It was the worst decision I ever made. My stomach and my chest were burning. I was so winded. A lot of my shots were short, so I can tell that was one of the reasons why I was missing.”

Napier shot a mere 3-for-11 from the floor. He vowed never to get food from 7-11 again. That's probably a good decision.

And here's how NBA scouts size up Napier, Ryan Boatright and DeAndre Daniels.

*** Meanwhile, Boatright toughed it out with 14 points, despite getting kneed in the back of his knee once and getting yet another shot to the ... umm ... man region in the second half.

“I almost feinted," he said. "It’s like the sixth time this year, it’s crazy.”

*** Kevin Ollie on the Huskies' win:


UConn held Temple high-scorers Dalton Pepper and Quenton DeCosey to a combined 9-for-33 shooting.

“To hold those two guys down like we did, especially in a building where they feel comfortable," Ollie said. "I see the XL Center, they haven’t played there before. But this is their home gym. To be out on the shooters and to run them off the 3-point line and make life difficult for them, it was a good job.”

“I thought Amida (Brimah) did a great job giving us the inside presence, giving us a balance. Hopefully, SMU is thinking about that, also, going into our next game.”

(on returning to Philly, where he played for parts of six seasons with the Sixers)


“It’s great. I have great respect for Fran (Dunphy), he’s a great coach. This city has done a lot for me, Larry Brown has done a lot for me, the Sixers’ organization has done a lot for me. I always want to give back. When I can come back and talk to some of my old friends, be around them, it’s just a great atmosphere. I love this city. They always cheered me on – the guy that didn’t get a lot of minutes, but when I got in there, I always got a good ovation and I appreciate that.”

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home