Sunday, February 7, 2010

Odds and Sods


I'm nervous for this evening. I just hope they play well and represent themselves properly.

The Colts? No. The Saints? Uh-uh. Could care less about the actual game. I'm rooting for The Who.

The Who -- or is it The Two, with just Pete 'n Rog left? -- are my all-time favorite band, but even I admit they're somewhat of an odd choice for the Super Bowl halftime show. I just hope they play well. They are the greatest live act in rock history, although that dates back to the Keith Moon days. I've seen them about 10 times over the past 15 years, and most of the shows have been great. But Roger's voice tends to give out (I'm real worried about the "Won't Get Fooled Again" scream) and the band can sound a bit ragged at times.

We'll see. As for set list, I know they're doing a medley, and I know the songs are "Pinball Wizard", "Won't Get Fooled," "Baba O'Riley" and "Who Are You". (I predicted those four and "My Generation," but that one's not getting played).

My prediction for song order: "Baba", "Who Are You", "Pinball" and "Won't Get Fooled."

Oh, as for UConn: I wouldn't let last night's lackluster win over DePaul worry you any more or less about this season. This team, for better or worse, tends to play better against better opponents, under the bright lights and national TV cameras. I'll even say this: DePaul is long and (somewhat) athletic on defense, which certainly helped make the Huskies look all the more inept offensively. And Will Walker hit some tough, tough shots.

I expect them to play better against Syracuse, though that 2-3 zone might make them look silly. If you're thinking of a big road upset, I'd say the chances are better next week at Villanova.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dave wasnt too impressed with The Who, kinda stinks cause something seen by so many now have kinda a bad taste in their mouth about the band even thought they were an incredible band. Wondering what your thoughts were

February 8, 2010 at 1:32 PM 
Blogger David Borges said...

It was about what I expected. They can sound ragged live in their later years, and Daltrey's voice has been on and off for a long time. I saw them last year at TD Banknorth Garden in Boston and it was a tremendous show, but I had a feeling their performance wouldn't go over with the general public.

Sadly, a band like Kiss would be a better Super Bowl halftime act. I don't like Kiss at all, but they probably have more name recognition right now than The Who, and people would prefer to hear mindless stuff like "Rock 'n Roll All Night" than a song like "Won't Get Fooled Again," which actually makes you think.

February 8, 2010 at 6:29 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha i was thinking that a guy like Jimmy Buffet would have been a good guy to get. But yeah If there was a simpler song than "Rock N' Roll All Night," i'd be amazed. The Who would have been a great band to get like 5-10 years ago. Maybe they should look to get different types of acts for Superbowl instead of guys like Petty, Springstein, the Who, the stones that are on their finals legs of their careers

February 8, 2010 at 7:19 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home