Friday, July 10, 2015

Jim Calhoun: Scott Burrell is 'ready for this job. He'll do a great job'

Here's what Jim Calhoun had to say about Scott Burrell being hired as the new head basketball coach at Southern Connecticut State:

"I think it's ideal, the fact that he was maybe the greatest athlete in the history of the New Haven-area school system."

"Like a lot of young guys, he probably needed to get a head job. I think at Southern Connecticut, his mom and dad graduated from there, so that makes it more special. I think he's ready. He and I talked a great deal about this over the years. There was a point where he wanted to get into coaching. Tommy (Moore) and I talked about hiring him, and he's moved on. He's done a good job there. I've watched him practice probably three or four practices a year at Quinnipiac, he does a great job at practice. I think he'll do a good job recruiting-wise, he's smart. A head coaching job is a head coaching job."

(did he see this day coming when Burrell played for him at UConn?)

"I never thought Scott Burrell would ever coach. Because then someone else would have to coach Scott Burrell. That was my joke to him. He was a typical 'boys of summer' -- he just wanted to play. He loved practices for the scrimmages. The drills, not so much. Watching him in the dugout when he wasn't pitching one day, he couldn't sit still ... Just a great kid, one of the best kids you're gonna find. He's kind of a throwback in many ways."

(does he have what it takes -- work ethic, etc. -- to be a head coach?)

"This isn't something that just came about. He started thinking about this four or five years ago ... Scott Burrell is ready for this job, he'll do a great job. We talked yesterday. We talked about this for the past few months, we've talked about a couple of things the past year or two."

"Taliek Brown is the next guy I'd love to see get into college coaching, because he's done a good job in high school ... He's trying to. We've talked a lot. He's been up to camp working. He's a great teacher. I always say the best (leaders) I ever had were 1. Kemba Walker and maybe 1a. or 2., would have to be Taliek. They played with great joy."

Calhoun also noted that he'll be back with ESPN this season and is talking about doing a lot more games -- and a lot of big-time games -- with Rece Davis and the gang.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sachin Kabadagi said...

http://c64music.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/c64-sid-phase-accumulator-and-fpga.html

January 8, 2016 at 11:38 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

This blog is a great source of information which is very useful for me.
Rising Pune Supergiants Team Squad Captain Name
DD New Players List
Kings XI Punjab New Jersey Logo Images

March 20, 2016 at 4:05 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Sir,

I have pondered this question many times in the past. I didn't buy my first house until I has 44 yrs old. Up until then I rented. Nothing wrong with either one. Depends on your specific situation.

houses to rent


Your regards
Alfaj Ripon

January 27, 2017 at 2:23 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home