Saturday, January 25, 2014

Notes 'n Quotes for One Final Time from the RAC

Some quick quotes from Piscataway after UConn's 82-71 victory Saturday night. The Huskies beat the Scarlet Knights for the umpteenth time, but it's Rutgers that's the big winner in the conference realignment game. Or haven't you heard?

Kevin Ollie:

“Bazz was pretty amazing that second half.”

“It may be the last time we play in the RAC. It was good to come out with a win.”

(on DeAndre Daniels' high ankle sprain)

“Anybody who’s played basketball or any sport, knows that’s very, very painful. But he just gutted it out, that’s what it’s all about. That’s the toughness we need to see. Not only our coaching staff, but our players need to see that.”

Ollie said Omar Calhoun tweaked his ankle in the Temple game, decided at shootaround he had no lateral movement, wouldn't play Saturday. Ollie hopes both Calhoun and Daniels are good for Thursday against Houston.

“It was Black Out night. We had our Blue Out night, that wasn’t very successful, so let’s go spoil someone else’s night.”

(on Shabazz Napier)

“He drives me crazy sometimes, but that’s the guy that I’m going to count on. I’m going to put the ball in his hands. I know he’s going to make a couple of mistakes here and there, but I know he’s going to be there for me and be rock-solid when I need him the most. That second half was up there with a lot of great second halves that our great players have played. You put the ball in his hand, he just makes play after play after play.”

Napier:


“I wasn’t making any shots. I don’t make shots, I’ve got to figure out how to get myself going. I got to the free-throw line a lot. As a shooter, when you get to the free throw line, you learn how to get your confidence back up. You see the ball going through the hoop, that was the biggest thing for me in the second half.”

(on Daniels' injury)

“I actually didn’t see it. I thought he fell on his head or something. I was glad he got back up, came back out in the second half and showed a lot of guts.”

(on Rutgers going to the Big Ten, UConn stuck in AAC)

“I mean, sometimes it has nothing to do with basketball. The big changes that happened last year had everything to do with football. That’s basically what it is. It’s not only about what team is better than who … I don’t know anything about that. I think UConn’s happy where we’re at right now. The American’s definitely a good conference. I know they wanted to get in the ACC last year, but it happens, you can’t do anything about it.”

“When I learned we were all moving around (from the Big East), I couldn’t do anything all about it. All I could say was, ‘Man, this is really breaking up.’ The Big East was one of the biggest things coming out of high school. It was like, ‘Ah, the Big East, the hardest conference to play in.’ But it’s a part of life.”

Daniels: 

“I didn’t think it was anything serious. I knew I twisted my ankle pretty bad. Once I got back and tested it out, they taped me and they asked me if I wanted to sit out. I said, ‘Nah, I just want to fight through it and do anything I need to help my team get the win.’”


“When I was in the back for a while, it stopped hurting a little bit. It was still hurting, but it went down. It was hurting basically the whole time I was out there.”

Eddie Jordan:


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home