Sunday, February 3, 2013

Shabazz Napier's Mom is Very Proud of Her Clutch Son

My game story from UConn's overtime win over South Florida today was essentially a mini-feature story on Shabazz Napier, who continues to show Kemba-like clutchness. Shabazz had some interesting things to say about how he's always felt comfortable in the proverbial "big spot."



And here's an OK write-up on the game from the Tampa Bay Times.

*** As for Kevin Ollie, it was basically Groundhog Day, a day later. Whether its being outrebounded by 31 on Thursday at Providence or scoring just 15 first-half points on Sunday, the Huskies found a way to win. In overtime. Again.



*** Meanwhile, here's a few quotes from Carmen Velasquez (Shabazz's mom) after watching her son pull off yet another clutch performance.

"It’s just in him, I don’t know. It’s a blessing. He’s always been like that, even in high school.”

(where does he get it from?)

“Honestly, I couldn’t even tell you … his older brother (Timmy Barrows) was good at those 3’s from far away, so maybe that’s where he picked it up from.”

(is Napier French for Walker (jokingly)?)

"It's his father's name, I don't know ... I don’t think his father had any French in him.”

(on Napier's terrific junior season)

“He’s loving every bit of it, and so am I. I lost my voice at the Providence game.”

(so does that mean Napier will be coming back for his senior year?)
“I leave it all up to him. Whatever he decides, at the end of the day, it’s not my choice or his choice, it’s God’s choice. Whatever God has planned for him, that’s what it’ll be. To stay here another year or two or test the water, we’ll just have to wait (until he makes that decision).”

*** Finally, Napier was named Big East player of the week after leading the Huskies to consecutive overtime wins. He averaged 21 points, five boards, 3.5 assists and two steals in those games while shooting 57.9 percent from the floor (11-for-19) and 61 percent from 3-point land (8-for-13).





Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Shabazz decides to leave he might as well book his ticket to Israel or Turkey now cause that's where he is going to end up.

February 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM 
Blogger David Borges said...

I would tend to agree with you, but I'll tell you: if Shabazz keeps playing like this for the rest of the season, I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be an NBA team willing to take a shot on him.

February 4, 2013 at 11:39 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure someone may take a shot, but why not mature one more year and be a lock?

February 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM 
Blogger David Borges said...

I agree, but Shabazz may not. Money is quite a lure.

February 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home