Sunday, February 27, 2011

Buckeyes Back on Top

Ohio State is back as my No. 1 this week, thanks to Pitt's overtime loss at Louisville on Sunday. Of my top four, Pitt and Duke both lost while OSU and Kansas both won twice. So it was down to the Buckeyes or Jayhawks, and I went with Thad Matta's boys.

Elsewhere ...

*** BYU moves from No. 7 to No. 4 after its impressive win at San Diego State on Saturday. I've liked the Cougars all season, and think they merit a No. 1 seed.

*** Louisville rises from No. 13 to 9 after its win over Pitt (as well as a trouncing of Rutgers earlier in the week). The Cardinals are playing as well as anyone in the Big East not named St. John's. I've got the Johnnies jumpin up from No. 25 to No. 15.

*** I dropped UConn two spots, from No. 14 to 16, after its 1-1 week. Splitting two games against a pair of bubble teams (Marquette at home, Cincinnati on the road) sort of cancels each other out.

*** I'm loathe to punish a Big East team too much, since it is the best conference in the country, but I've actually dropped Georgetown out of my top 25 after ranking them 10th last week. That the Hoyas lost to Cincy and Syracuse (at home) this week was bad enough. But losing Chris Wright for what appears to be at least the next two weeks really hurts their chances of doing anything.

*** My only new team is Xavier, who I probably should have had ranked earlier anyway. Strongly considered were UCLA (huge romp over Arizona) and George Mason.


1. Ohio State
2. Kansas
3. Pittsburgh
4. Brigham Young
5. Duke
6. San Diego State
7. Texas
8. Purdue
9. Louisville
10. Notre Dame
11. Florida
12. Wisconsin
13. Syracuse
14. North Carolina
15. St. John's
16. UConn
17. Missouri
18. Kentucky
19. Utah State
20. Villanova
21. Arizona
22. Vanderbilt
23. Texas A&M
24. Temple
25. Xavier

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave how is BYU a #1 seed. They have played very weak ranked teams and SDSU is the most overrated team in the entire top 25. I think it would be a disgrace to the rest of college basketball to have them a #1 seed for playing in a poor conference and not having any real signature OOC wins (ok they beat an overrated Arizona team). On the other hand, I'd love to be in their region for the Tournament

February 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM 
Blogger David Borges said...

Did you know, though, that BYU is 9-1 against teams in the RPI Top 50?

February 28, 2011 at 11:24 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. BYU is legit. I wouldn't have a problem if they were a 1 seed. Although, I think if kansas, duke, pitt, and osu don't falter too bad, those will be the 1 seeds. I think UNC is kind of flying under the radar right now (as much as a "UNC" can).

March 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BYU proves the RPI system is a joke. Use the eye test when looking at the teams BYU has beaten. RPI is takes things into account like home wins counting differently than road wins. To me SOS is more important. Do you really think BYU would have that record in the Big East?

March 1, 2011 at 5:11 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home