Thursday, August 6, 2009

Rashard Lewis Lucky He Doesn't Play Baseball


The news that Rashard Lewis has been banned for 10 games by the NBA for testing positive for an elevated level of testosterone will likely be forgotten about by tomorrow morning.

He's lucky he's not a baseball player. If he was, a massive wave of self-important, righteously indignant columnists and talking heads would be berating us for days, if not weeks, about how he's stained the game, how his statistics are worthless, how the sport is shameful, how ... you get the point.

But he doesn't play baseball, so this will all blow over in a day at the most. What's that, David Ortiz is planning a press conference for Saturday at Yankee Stadium? Guess Lewis is wiped from the headlines already.

Look, I hate the term "double-standard." I'll let the Gloria Allreds and Gloria Steinems of the world overuse that one. But I've truly never seen such a gross double-standard when it comes to how steroids/PEDs are viewed in baseball in relation to other sports. (And don't even get me started on the HGH/PED-infested NFL).

And yes, I blame the media -- of which I am (usually) a very proud member -- for this.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. Back to college basketball in a bit ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home